The struggling smartphone maker BlackBerry has confirmed on Friday that it will soon launch an Android based handset amid the report of falling revenues.
Against analysts expectation of a 9 cents per share loss and a revenue of around $600 million, the company reported a loss per share of 13 cents and a revenue of $490 million.
The android based phone from BlackBerry has been dubbed as Priv. It will be having a slide-out keyboard and will support the Android apps ecosystem available on Android platform. Priv is coming at end of 2015, Blackberry said. However, the company also said that it remains committed to its own BlackBerry OS which will be getting its own update in march to improve privacy and security.
The company also said that it expects to turn to profitability by fourth fiscal quarter which means by February next year.
BlackBerry CEO, John Chen, had admitted last month that its handsets have not been a big success so far and that BlackBerry needs to make handsets that support larger number of apps, without actually naming that the future device from BlackBerry will be an Android based.
BlackBerry acquired its rival Good Technology for $425 million earlier this month.